The time it takes to get a decision on your disability application can vary depending on:
- The nature of your disability;
- How quickly the Social Security Administration can get your medical evidence from your doctor or another medical voucher;
- Whether it is necessary to send you for a medical examination; and
- Whether the Social Security Administration reviews your application for quality purposes.
If you would like to apply for disability benefits, you can use the Social Security Administration’s online application.
Applying online for disability benefits offers several advantages:
- You can start your disability application immediately. There is no need to wait for an appointment;
- You can apply from the convenience of your home, or on any computer; and
- You can avoid trips to a Social Security office, saving you time and money.