• My Nearest City

Social Security Card Replacement


How do I request a replacement Social Security card?

You can replace a Social Security card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you may not need to get a replacement card. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important.


All documents submitted must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The Social Security Administration does not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Replacement Card for a U.S. Born Adult

You are limited to three replacement cards in a year and ten during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in immigration status that require card updates may not count toward these limits. Also, these limits may not affect you if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.  You can request a replacement card from the SSA website or you can find online editable Social Security replacement forms from various websites.

What original documents do I need?


We need proof of U.S. citizenship if you have not already established your U.S. citizenship with us. We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport.


The SSA accepts only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable record must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age), and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity, Social Security must see your:

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued nondriver identification card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within ten days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

  • Employee ID card;
  • School ID card;
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or
  • U.S. military ID card.

For more information about how to get social security replacement cards for children, foreign-born U.S. citizens or non-citizens, please visit: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm or visit a local Social Security Office.