How Do I Apply for Social Security Disability?
You can start your disability claim online using the Social Security Administrations website. There is no need to wait for an appointment if you choose to file online.
Follow these steps to apply online for Social Security Disability:
- Read the Adult Disability Checklist to get an understanding of the online application process;
- Complete the online Disability Benefit Application to provide information about your eligibility;
- Complete the online Adult Disability Report to provide information about your medical and work history;
- Complete, sign, and mail or take the Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration to your local Social Security office.
If you would like to file for disability benefits in person, you can do one of the following:
- Call SSA’s toll-free telephone number 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday to make an appointment; or
- Visit your local Social Security office.